Disclaimer

I am not a doctor or an expert of any kind on nutrition or health. Any research I have done is through Google and is by no means in-depth. Therefore, any opinions I appear to have, even when quoting experts, may not be accurate. I am not promoting any diet. I am merely doing an experiment and using my own body as a labratory. Please consult a trusted health expert before changing your diet or exercise routine.

Friday, March 11, 2011

DAY FOUR - conclusion

I had a great day yesterday.  We took my niece to see the Disney on Ice Princes Wishes show.  It was exactly what I would expect from Disney.  We loved it!

We ate dinner at Fridays because its right across the street from the Van Andel Arena.  Everyone must have had the same idea because the place was packed with families with little girls all dressed up like their favorite Disney princess. 

Knowing ahead of time where you are going to eat is extremely helpful.  I looked up the menu online and logged in what I would be eating before I left.  I recommend that, no matter what eating plan you are on.  After we all ordered our food, I was talking about my experiment and my mom, just being curious, looked up her meal online.  Turns out she would be eating 1500+ calories that night.  I suggested the Dragonfire Chicken, but . . .  Actually, that was someones estimation of the calories in my mom's meal because Friday's doesn't post nutrition information.  Luckily, it was easy for me to figure out, since there are no secret ingredients in a Cobb salad.   

So, as you can see, I opted for the Cobb Salad (with no meat).  Instead of the cup of ranch dressing I was originally going to order, which would have weighed in at 16 carbs, I opted for vinegar and oil, 0 carbs.  When the server brought it to the table, there was only an inch of oil left in the container.  I dumped on my salad and asked for more.  My sister was mildly humiliated when I pulled my own salad seasoning out of my purse.  She said, "I'm just glad you didn't pull a chicken breast out of there!"  We all laughed.

My salad was delicious.  I'm telling you, olive oil on a salad is better than ranch dressing.  I wish I would have known about this years ago, even when I was on Atkins.  Ranch is low in carbs, but only to a point.  It has about 1 carb per table spoon.  I don't like my salads that dry.  I like to pour on the dressing.  Another benefit; you don't get the funky breath with olive oil like you do ranch.  If you've tried oil and vinegar and it wasn't for you, might I suggest a more generous application of the olive oil, so you can really taste it.  Most people who would opt for the vinegar and oil choice, however,  are probably too calorie/health conscious to consider being that liberal with it.  I'm sure there will be plenty of times I use other dressings for some variety, but, when I plan on eating a large salad (such as the portion they serve at Fridays) I will most likely opt for the vinegar and oil.  I also had a glass of merlot which weighed in at just under 4 carbs. 

My total for the day was 3261 calories, 66.76 grams carbs, 179.64 grams protein, 246.11 grams fat.  I was really pleased with these numbers at the end of the night.  High calories and carbs right in my allotted range.  I even ate a kiwi yesterday, only 9 carbs.  The results?  This morning I weighed in at 185.8.  

No comments:

Post a Comment