Disclaimer

I am not a doctor or an expert of any kind on nutrition or health. Any research I have done is through Google and is by no means in-depth. Therefore, any opinions I appear to have, even when quoting experts, may not be accurate. I am not promoting any diet. I am merely doing an experiment and using my own body as a labratory. Please consult a trusted health expert before changing your diet or exercise routine.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Nutrient Test

I plugged the foods I will be eating into the food analyzer at www. whfoods.com.   If you've never been to that website, I highly reccomend it.  I was found to be deficient in the following nutrients.

vitamin b12
vitamin d
zinc
selenium
niacin b3
pantothenic acid

B12 - I get some from eggs, but the rest is from other animal sources, like shrimp, scallops and salmon.  I'm actually going to take a B12 supplement. I thought about adding shrimp and scallops, which I may still do.  They are pretty low in mercury according to a chart I found online, but I'm still on the fence. 

Vitamin D - Once again, I get some from eggs, but it suggests I eat shrimp and salmon.  

Zinc - I have this covered with pumpkin seeds.  I am picking some up from Horrocks today (couldn't find any at Meijer). 

Selenium - They suggest fish here again, but it looks like I can also do Crimini mushrooms.

Niacin b3 - Chicken would be the best source, but is not an option for me.  Salmon is also high.  Crimini mushrooms are also on this list.

Pantothenic acid B5 - Crimini mushrooms to the rescue again.  Also raw sunflower seeds. 

It turns out that my deficiencies come from my vegetarianism.  Not one deficient nutrient suggests that I eat any whole grains.  That's good news!  It looks like just about all these nutrients could be found in very high amounts in calf's liver (with the exception of vitamin d).  That's out of the question for me, but I thought I'd throw that information out there.  

I also want to point out that fish, shrimp and scallops turns out to be the only meat I "need."  B12 and D seem to be the only nutrients that were hard to find in non-animal sources.

Accordingly, I have added the following foods to my grocery list:

Sea vegetables (Hopefully at Horrocks)
Shitake Mushroom
crimini mushrooms
Collard Greens
Kale
raw pumpkin seeds
raw sunflower seeds
Kiwi
tofu

To be clear, I already eat lots of broccoli and cauliflower and a mix of other vegetables.  Kale was in the same category as carrots, so nutritionally, I think these two could be swapped out.   A cup of carrots has 3 more carbs than a cup of Kale, but that's kind of splitting hairs.  Its more important that I have some variety.  I won't be eating beans because they are way to high in carbs.  Therefore, I analyzed the nutrients in different types of beans.  I can get the nutrients from the other foods I eat, however, there is one weird one that wasn't in tofu or peanuts called molybdenum.  Its kind of an obscure nutrient and not considered "essential".  I looked it up and it turns out that it is in other foods I will be eating like celery and onions.  So, I can rest easy about cutting beans out of my diet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment